Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sweet Tarts as a Motivational Tool...


Who knew sweet tarts or "Smarties" could be such a powerful motivational tool...

As part of our phonics lesson, my son and I will review his words periodically through the week.  He'll often try to guess at the words instead of working on sounding them out and thinking the words through.....

Last week, I had an ingenious idea to give him one little Smartie for each word he sounded out and said properly......he got 69 words correct (no Smartie for guessing though).  We did the same excercise this week and he properly sounded out 94 words!  Who knew Smarties could be such a powerful motivational tool!  I think I'm going to have to try pennies next week.......not sure I have enough Smarties on hand!

Today we introduce some double "l" words with "e" and "i" and talk about compound words like sunset......

Joy in learning........for both of us!

HDP