Friday, December 3, 2010

Burly Tweed Man's Scarf

I wanted a little distraction from the blanket I've been working on for my son........


And, with the colder weather we've been having, I decided to make a scarf for my husband......


He takes the bus to work and says the bus ride can be quite cold.  So, I dug out some masculine looking yarn from my stash and put together this scarf for him.

 I used Vanna's Choice yarn in Barley and a J hook.  This is a simple stitch pattern and with that in mind, I wanted to add a little visual interest to the texture of the stitch, so I broke it up with some straight lines in three different spots; the beginning, the middle, and the end.


It was fun to make and worked up quickly.  I've attached my instructions below for anyone who might be interested.



Burly Tweed Man’s Scarf
By Heather P.

This scarf is sized for a taller man (approx. 6 ft or taller) and is 7.5” x 77”

Material:
10 oz Aran weight yarn (I used Vanna’s Choice in the color Barley)
J crochet hook

Stitches Used:
Ch – chain                                             Dc – double crochet
Sc – single crochet                              Ss – slip stitch

Instructions:
Ch 22

1.       Sc in second ch from hook and across; ch 1, turn (21 sts)
2.       Sc in first 2 sts, alternate dc, sc across, ending with sc in last st; ch 1, turn
3.       Sc across; ch 1, turn
4.       Sc across; ch 1, turn
5.       Sc across; ch 1, turn
6.       Sc in first 2 sts, alternate dc, sc across, ending with sc in last st; ch 1, turn
7.       Sc in first 3 sts, alternate dc, sc across, ending with sc in last 2 sts; ch 1, turn

Repeat rows 6, 7, and 6 (always ending your pattern sequence with a row 6)
Repeat row 3-5 (for a total of 3 add’l rows)

Repeat row 6 & 7 alternately for a total of 5 additional rows (always ending with a row 6)
Repeat row 3-5 (for a total of 3 add’l rows)

Repeat rows 2 & 3-5 ( for a total of 4 add’l rows)

Repeat rows 6 & 7 alternately until scarf measures 31.5” (ending on a row 6)

Textured Band Series*
a.       Repeat row 3-5 (for a total of 3 add’l rows)
b.       Repeat rows 2 & 3-5 ( for a total of 4 add’l rows)
c.        Repeat row 6 & 7 alternately for a total of 5 additional rows (always ending with a row 6)
d.       Repeat row 3-5 (for a total of 3 add’l rows)
e.        Repeat row 6 & 7 alternately for a total of 5 additional rows (always ending with a row 6)
f.         Repeat row 3-5 (for a total of 3 add’l rows)
g.       Repeat rows 2 & 3-5 ( for a total of 4 add’l rows)

Repeat rows 6 & 7 alternately until scarf measures 62.5” (ending on a row 6)

Repeat textured band series “a” through “f”
Repeat row 2

  Sc across; ch 1, turn
  Ss across; fasten off
  Go back to start of scarf and ss on row 1; fasten off

Weave in ends

*Note:  As an alternative, you could do the sc rows, in the textured band series, in a different color to add interest.  My husband tends to be conservative in dress, so I kept with a solid color.


HDP